NECIR PRE-COLLEGE SUMMER JOURNALISM ASSISTANT EDITOR
The New England Center for Investigative Reporting (NECIR) at Boston University’s College of Communication is seeking four assistant editors for its Pre-College Summer Journalism Institute.
Each summer NECIR hosts three two-week journalism program for high school students, ages 15 to 18, at Boston University plus an additional session at Boston College. Students will learn the fundamentals of journalism as well as hear from guest speakers working in the industry. Using Boston as their beat, students will receive hands-on training in writing stories and have a portfolio of three to five items, as well as publishing their work in a digital format.
The assistant editor should be a highly motivated undergraduate/graduate journalism student who has excelled in their journalism program. If hired, each assistant editor will assist the NECIR Newsroom Editor in the following tasks:
- Critique and edit stories of high school students
- Provide office hours to discuss student’s work, story ideas, and/or planning for an interview/coverage of an event
- Accompany students to events to offer additional support or instruction
- Meet with Newsroom Editor to discuss any issues/concerns regarding student’s work and writing
- Work with NECIR Student Programs to create a digital platform to showcase the students’ work
Three assistant editors are needed for the BU sessions that run from June 25 to August 3, 2018. The BC campus will need one assistant editor from July 2 to July 13, 2018.
This is a paid position with Monday through Friday hours with a commitment to work three to four hours per day. Each assistant editor will receive a weekly stipend. This position is also welcome to apply for our peer adviser position, and receive additional benefits of free room and board.
Applicants must be able to commit to the full six weeks of the program and be serious about helping to create a positive and life-changing experience for our students.
Deadline to apply is March 2, 2018.
To apply, click on the below. You will need to upload your cover letter and resume to the form.