SUMMER PEER ADVISER
The New England Center for Investigative Reporting at Boston University‘s College of Communication is seeking two females and one male peer advisers for its Pre-College Summer Journalism Institute on campus.
Each summer, our journalism institute draws more than 120 high school students from all over the country and world who are eager to learn about journalism and explore the city of Boston. We offer three two-week sessions; each session has about 40-45 students. To make this a fun-filled experience for our students (and our peer advisers), our summer advisers should have the following qualifications:
- Enthusiastic and motivated to work with high school students;
- Some experience working at a camp, coaching, or counseling;
- Great communication skills;
- Some conflict-resolution skills;
- Some knowledge (or willingness to learn) about Boston’s history and the colleges in the area; and
- Journalism experience is not required, but is a plus.
Our advisers are required to be:
- A Boston University undergraduate student;
- Be available from June 24 to July 7, 2018; and
- Assist with move-in dates at Warren Towers.
Working with NECIR’s Student Program Manager, our advisers will lead theirevening and weekend activities throughout Boston. Working with NECIR’s Student Program Manager, advisers will have wake-up and curfew times for students. Once classes begin, advisors are free to take classes, work internships, etc. Advisors must be available at 4 pm and hours outside the program classes. Peer advisors are also welcome to apply for our NECIR Pre-College Assistant Editor position.
Each peer adviser will receive a weekly stipend, housing and a meal plan (covered by NECIR) during the duration of the program, June 24 through August 4. Applicants must be able to commit to the full six weeks of the program and be serious about helping to create a positive and life-changing experience for our students.
Deadline to apply is March 2, 2018.